Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Reflection 2

6 Reflective or Informative Entries regarding technology and/or teaching labeled “Reflection #1 - #6”.  These can be observations from a visit to a classroom, from NU classes, or reflections on something related to technology & education. Each entry should answer these questions: What? So What? Now What? (5 pts each)  

I have been so frustrated in a few of my classes because of teachers who don't use  technology in their classrooms to engage the students with the material.  I wish that we could have a seminar for NU for our professors to learn how to use tech. well. It would really help students to learn better.

5 comments:

  1. I have also been frustrated in some of the classes I have and/or been in where the professor/teacher do not use the available technology. I agree that a seminar on available technology would be useful but I wonder how many of them do not use the technology out of lack of knowledge or due to prefrence? Though in some classes I wounder if the technology would actually be helpful or a hindrance and how we would be able to tell the difference.

    Pedro

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about professors not using a lot of technology. It seems fairly inconsistent - some professors use a lot of technology while others use next to none. I agree with Pedro though - how many professors don't use technology because they prefer older methods? It would be interesting to take a survey of professors to see how they feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the exact same way. I really wish that Northwest would require professors to attend a mandatory seminar each year, as I expressed in my Reflections #2 blog post. I think it would benefit all teachers at NU. Many of the teachers in my class will attempt to use the Smart Board in class but are learning how to use it as they go. This can cause much frustration and by the end of the semester they no longer use the Board.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like a recurring frustration for students here at NU. Maybe we should go to the administration and let them know to what extent this is going on. In order for the school to keep up with their competition they are going to have to step up to the plate and not only stay up with tech, but be advanced in it. ~ JoDee

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is pretty comical how bad some professors are with tech. Some go so far as to have students operate the computers for them. But I don't think increasing the amount of technology will increase my ability to learn. It would just make class more fluid. --Kyle Tatro

    ReplyDelete